Fluorescent Lighting Not the Answer

Fluorescent Lighting Not the Answer

One reason is because these types of light sources contain small but significant amounts of mercury. If the glass tube is broken, then the mercury can contaminate the environment, that’s not a ‘clean’, ‘green’ or ‘healthy’ situation considering that mercury is highly toxic.

mercury, 2

mercury, Hg

In fluorescent tubes, mercury is used in vapor or powder state, in order to convert electric energy into ultraviolet light, which is then converted into visible light by a fluorescent substance.
The new CFLs are not easily recyclable (Even if they were, they are made with a big chunk of plastic… plastic is not really recycled… it can only be ‘down cycled’), they are virtually never recycled, and the only way to dispose of them ‘responsibly’ is to containerize them so that they make it all the way into the landfill without breaking… Nobody is doing that. But that way the Earth will absorb the mercury.

mercury, 1

mercury, toxic sign

It’s not a very nice thing to do to Mother Nature or whoever comes along in the future, but at least the sanitation workers won’t get a direct hit.

If your ‘green-conscience’ or your economic intelligence suggests that you go fluorescent, consider that there are much better ways to reduce energy waste.

CFL, 2 broken

CFL, broken

If a CFL or traditional F-tube breaks in an indoor space, clean it up very carefully wearing a respirator, try not to walk on the area, move slowly, contain all the pieces in an unbreakable airtight container. Make sure to reduce air movement; close windows, turn of heating/air conditioning, DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner.
Don’t use them in the first place.

More to the story… Check back soon…

Billy

Check this out!

Philips Unveils World’s First 60 Watt LED Bulb

Recently at the Lightfair International tradeshow in Las Vegas, Royal Philips Electronics unveiled its breakthrough EnduraLED light bulb. This bulb will be the world’s first LED replacement for the 60 watt incandescent light bulb, which represents about half of all domestic incandescent light bulbs sold on the market.

We’ve been waiting for this…
The EnduraLED lamp will use only 12 watts, last 25 times longer, and deliver up to eighty percent savings on energy costs and avoided maintenance costs. However, the new bulb will produce a light level of 806 lumens, similar to the 60 watt incandescent. To achieve this efficiency, it uses an innovative design and a new technology known as remote phosphor technology, developed by Philips researchers in The Netherlands.

Every year in the United States, 425 million 60 watt incandescent lamps are sold, half of all lamp purchases. If these were all to be replaced by the new EnduraLED light bulbs, Philips estimates the potential saving of 32.6 terawatt-hours of electricity in one year. This would be equivalent to power the lights of 16.7 million US housholds, 14.4 percent of the total number of households in the county. Environmentally, it has the potential to eliminate the generation of carbon emissions by 5.3 millions metric tons per year.

This is great, Read more here:

LED innovation

LED innovation

********************************************************************

The Mad Hatter
The story of mercury known contamination traces back to the 19th century, when the toxin was widely used in the felt industry, and hat makers often developed neuropsychotic symptoms—hence the phrase “mad as a hatter.” Researchers started to notice that food was a potential source of mercury poisoning after scores of people died or fell ill from contaminated fish in Japan in the 1960s and from tainted grain in Iraq in the 1970s. In these cases, however, people were exposed to extreme doses of mercury pollution from industrial burning of fossil fuels, and most scientists agreed that normal background levels of mercury were safe, “for the most part”.
Even so, no governing body could agree on how much mercury was too much.
Based on research indicating that no adverse clinical symptoms were detected below a blood mercury level of 58 parts per billion (ppb), the US Environmental Protection Agency factored in a 10-fold margin of safety and recommended a blood mercury maximum of 5.8 ppb. The European Food Safety Authority, however, was less conservative and set the bar at 10 ppb, while Health Canada and the World Health Organization agreed that 20 ppb was safe for non-pregnant adults.
Yet these guidelines were put into effect without studying any neurochemical reactions at the cellular level, which is where scientists see the early signs of toxicity.

Enter, Michael Kwan, a local environmental toxicologist from the Nunavik Research Centre in Kuujjuaq, Northern Quebec. He has been out in the frozen field to investigate this matter from the inside, out

“This is the kind of opportunity that a researcher from the south can only dream of.”
Krey came to this remote Inuit village—where the boreal forest meets the arctic tundra, some 1,500 kilometers north of Montreal, in December with a singular goal: to dissect polar bear brains and look for neurochemical changes associated with low levels of exposure to the toxic metal mercury.
However, it’s not just polar bears that interest Krey and her advisor, environmental health researcher Laurie Chan. Over the past few years, Chan’s lab has measured mercury contamination in many arctic mammals—including, seals, caribou, mink, otters, muskrats, beluga whales and humans—in an effort to better understand how these various species deal with chronic exposure to mercury.
“It’s all different ways to ask the same question,” says Chan: “Can we have a better handle on our human activities and its consequences on the health of the ecosystem?”
Chan and others are seeing biochemical changes in the brains of polar bears, mink, wild river otters, and other species. These biochemical changes could translate into physiological changes—such as defects in memory, language, attention, motor function and visual-spatial abilities—that often go unnoticed until it’s too late and the animal has suffered significant damage from mercury. As Chan’s group struggles to replicate and understand those changes, they are beginning to wonder: Is there no safe level of mercury exposure?
“In the old days, we always thought there was a margin of safety that when we were exposed to a lower level of contaminants that our body could handle that and there wouldn’t be clinical observations,” says Chan. “That threshold may not be real.” If his findings prove correct, the tens of thousands of people, whales, bears, and innumerable other species living with mercury in their brains below the supposed maximum may, in fact, be experiencing toxic effects from this low-level exposure.
“Just because an animal isn’t keeling over and dying doesn’t mean it isn’t being affected,” notes Tony Scheuhammer, a wildlife toxicology research scientist with Environment Canada in Ottawa who has collaborated with Chan. “There are many more subtle biochemical and neurochemical changes that happen long before you see overt toxicity, and yet these are clearly ascribable to the effects of mercury.” …
Sources include: The Scientist.com

http://www.the-scientist.com/article/display/57238/

More:

Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Are Killing Us!
The energy efficient light bulbs in your house are affecting yours and your neighbour’s health

Dirty truth about CFL Bulbs p1 of 3

Skip CFL’s and go right to LED Earth LED light bulbs Lumiselect Zetalux Evolux
The math shows one year pay-off

LED dangers

What is wrong with CFL?

What is wrong with CFL?

Fluorescent Lighting Not the Answer

EarthRising.org

Leave a Comment


NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>